Here are My Complaints About Vitacost
I have several complaints about Vitacost, but overall they are the best for online holistic, all natural products. Their customer service is much better now in 2016/2017 than it was back when I first posted this, although I have gotten one manager there who still gives me attitude whenever I speak to him.
I think it’s because Kroeger bought them out.
They do have the best prices, and they send out lots of coupon or promo codes, BUT I’ve had complaints about Vitacost almost every time I contact support. Only once or twice I don’t remember having some sort of issue with them.
Here are my complaints about Vitacost:
- I get misinformation from first level staff.
- When I get a supervisor, only one seemed sincerely apologetic for what I encountered. The rest seem like, “oh well, how can I help you.” No apology, no deep sincerity in their voice, etc.
- Yesterday I typed in my e-mail address to their live chat and then the girl asks me again for my e-mail address. I told her I already typed it in, she said it never showed up. I HATE having to redo things because a company can’t get it right the first time. It’s not just Vitacost, there are many companies that require your account number or phone number punched into their IVR, you get a live human and then they ask you to give it to them all over again. It’s a HUGE problem across the board, but I’m only talking about Vitacost now, not other companies.
- After I got off of live chat with Crystal S., I phoned because I wasn’t going to waste my time. The girl I spoke to tried to blame me for the live chat issues saying something like, “no one else has complained, you are the ONLY person, maybe there’s something wrong with your computer.”
LOL, nothing will piss me off MORE than a company trying to blame me for their ineptness.
- I asked to speak to a manager and I got Will. Will is so so.
Will’s basic attitude, in my opinion, is that he doesn’t care about the problems with the Live Chat or the problems I had with girl who transferred me to him, he just wants to get down to why I called in the first place.
While he did apologize, I had to pull the apology out of him.
Another problem with a lot of companies these days, is the staff doesn’t care about fixing problems. Let’s just sweep them under the rug and ignore them so the next customer also has to suffer.
- Then I give him my e-mail address and he can’t find me in the system LOL Ok, this is really starting to get on my nerves, nothing seems to ever go right with Vitacost. I remember the very first time I tried to order from them, I couldn’t. Their site wouldn’t work. Turns out they couldn’t handle the load from all their customers, so I wasted hours and days of my time trying to access their site every 20-30 minutes. It would start to work, then stop working. I also remember trying to call and being on hold for almost an hour or longer.
- Once Will found me in the system via my last name and zip code, I had to make him log out and figure out why he couldn’t find me via my e-mail address. Turns out their search query is case sensitive and he had been using a capped “M” for my e-mail address when I guess they entered it in as lower case. While case sensitive matters for things like passwords, you should NOT use that for a simple e-mail address. This tells me they hired terrible programmers to do their website.
- Then after asking, Will tells me he can’t e-mail me my tracking number. He says I should have gotten an e-mail when it shipped out earlier that day, but of course I didn’t receive any e-mail.
- Then I started discussing candles with him. He was getting one set of candle search results and I was getting less results in my search query. This went on for several minutes while he tried to suggest it was my browser. He didn’t want to stay on the phone with me and figure out the problem (SMART), but I insisted we get to the bottom of it. My gawd, it was like pulling teeth.
Turns out HE was the problem. He had something added to his search results so it showed more items than mine.
Then after talking to him for a minute trying to tell him that candles were missing from the search results, I figured out he isn’t knowledgeable at all when it comes to how search queries work.
So, I was getting very frustrated. He couldn’t think logically and I had to repeat myself over and over again since what he was saying made no sense. His pat answer that he kept repeating to me was getting me pissed.
Companies these days will promote ANYONE to a supervisor!
What happened was yesterday I had searched for soy candles and a slew of results showed up. Today when I just searched for just the word “candles,” NONE of yesterday’s search results showed up. He kept saying their search is very sensitive LOL. It’s not sensitive, whoever coded it doesn’t know what the hell they are doing.
Obviously if you search a broad range of something it should include the same results as the narrower search if it has the same keyword.
Not once did he seem upset by the problems or say he would talk to his engineering or development team about it. I had to tell him that it sounds like you don’t care about fixing the problem. That’s when he said yeh, I’ll send it over, but based on his tone, it was clear he didn’t care at all. Oh and he also told me they always have problems with their site. LOL OF COURSE YOU DO, because you hired some idiot to code your application, and you aren’t smart enough to figure out that you have to fire him and start over from scratch.
I also had to point out that it’s not only frustrating me because I can’t find what I’m searching for even though I found it yesterday, BUT they are losing money. Obviously if items are not being displayed to a potential customer, they will buy less. That’s only logical, but it takes people with brains to figure this out.
I’ve pretty well come to the conclusion that the people over there at Vitacost aren’t very smart, so the owner must not be. It’s a known fact that if the staff are mean, or unintelligent, so is the owner.
Employers always hire people just like them.
A smart person who cares about more than just money, won’t hire people who don’t care about their company and just tries to get the customer off the phone whenever there’s a problem. I’ve had this same feeling every time I’ve called Vitacost with the exception of one manager who I assume doesn’t even work there anymore. High quality workers won’t stay at a company that is totally mismanaged and doesn’t care.
And when searching for information on Vitacost, I saw how the employees rated their CEO Jeff Horowitz. He got around a 6/10. I guess their employees also have complaints about Vitacost.
Based on all of my complaints about Vitacost, I feel the reason they are still around is clearly because of their low prices and coupons, NOT because they are a well-run company. I’m sure they’ve lost tons of customers who would rather pay a little bit more and get quality service and not have their time being wasted by incompetence.
Later last night after I wrote the majority of this post, guess what arrived in my inbox??? The tracking e-mail and proof of my order. The one Will said had already gone out at least 8-10 hours earlier, the one he couldn’t have their system send to me again.
Now I have to call and find out why there’s 2 tracking numbers. I was told there was only ONE package. I won’t be happy if there are two, as it will cost me more in the end.
When reviewing other complaint sites, I found that others who also have complaints about Vitacost, and they usually revolve around their staff which is exactly what MY issue is.