The Freelancer Site Upwork is Terrible
I’ve been using both oDesk and Elance for years, both as a client and a freelancer towards the end. I know how both sites worked. They both had their flaws with Elance being the better of the two.
Imagine my surprise when the two companies merged. I believe (although I’m not sure) that oDesk bought out Elance.
Since they were building a whole new job site from scratch, I thought it was going to be close to perfect, using the best features of both sites and all the suggestions over the years. Not to mention they had minimum 6-12+ months to develop this new site.
Well in the end, nothing could have be further from the truth. When I started to use Upwork, I had problem after problem with it. Yes one can expect some bugs, but these weren’t just bugs, they were design flaws that made the site worse than even what oDesk was like before and oDesk was not as good as Elance, so that’s saying a lot.
When I first encountered them, I should have started to list all the issues here, but I didn’t. After getting really frustrated and wasting so much of my precious time sending Upwork ticket after ticket, I finally did post on Upwork’s Facebook page over a year ago to complain.
Fast forward to today, from now on I’m going to detail all the issues Upwork both as a company (staff) and their site.
- I hadn’t used the site in a while, and when I went to create a ticket, I went around in circles a few times until I realized there was NO WAY to start a ticket.They also removed the Live Chat and their phone number. oDesk had live chat for years, Elance always had phone support. When Upwork first started, they had both.I was livid not being able to get in touch with them. The only way I managed, was by using their app’s support. That was still working.I just got off the phone with a girl from Upwork who called me, and she didn’t even know what I was talking about. I had sent screenshots and she hadn’t even looked at them.Finally she tells me that only a few SELECT people are given access to live chat. I was SHOCKED!She said I can call at any time and wanted me to write down their number which I didn’t want to have to do, it should be on the site like it was before and like it is on NUMEROUS sites worldwide. I shouldn’t have to waste time hunting for it, as it was never easy to get to.
I told her I usually don’t want to call if I’m busy, I want to just write a quick ticket.
She then says I can e-mail them at [email protected] at any time. I asked why that information isn’t stated in the help area. No response.
- This girl who called me wasn’t even prepared with what my complaints were and I had a few tickets open. It was late my time, and couldn’t remember everything I had written.It’s not my job to comb through my e-mails and go back and forth with her because she’s too lazy to prepare. She should have reviewed them before calling me.She would also stop talking frequently and I’d have to say “hello” “hello?”
- I wanted to deposit money into my Upwork account to put it aside so I know how many hours I I can use a freelancer for. I had asked about this already in a ticket and instead of answering me, I was sent a generic message about how to pay weekly. I lost my temper, as they often hire people from overseas to do their customer service and I always have a problem with them understanding English.No one got back to me.So this girl tells me I am not allowed to do that. She wanted me to use Pay Pal and I said no, I have other things that go through my Pay Pal account, I don’t want to mix things up.So no, now I can’t do that and yes, you could do this with Elance.
- I get site error messages almost all the time when I use Upwork. That was months ago the last time I used the site, and for two days I had issues as well this week.One time I got an error that their server was taxed and they couldn’t handle the load.
- I log in and it defaults to my freelancer account. I switch to my client account (they are different user names), but it doesn’t stick. The site doesn’t recognize that I’m using my client account when trying to access the help area, and even sometimes it just flips and sends me back to the freelancer area which has different navigations.This happened months ago and they still haven’t fixed it.
That’s it for now, I will update this post as more issues arise with Upwork.